-
Photo: Gazsó János -
Photo: Gazsó János -
Photo: Gazsó János -
Photo: Gazsó János -
Photo: Gazsó János
Exaltation of the Holy Cross Catholic Church and Crypt
Behind the former castle, surrounded by a branch of the Dead Black Körös River, lies a 3.7-hectare castle park, designed by the Wenckheim family in the 1880s. At the highest point of the park stands the neo-Romanesque-style Holy Cross Chapel and Crypt, often referred to as the 'jewel box' of the area. In 1902, Count Dénes built the neo-Romanesque patronal church and the round cemetery chapel, the crypt, based on plans by Viktor Siedek, a Viennese architect. The chapel cost 250,000 crowns. The foundation of the church was dug out in just one week in 1857 by local labourers from Doboz. The buildings were consecrated on 7 June 1902 by Bishop Lőrinc Schlauch of Várad. According to contemporary accounts, at the Gerla bridge, a hundred horsemen welcomed the bishop performing the consecration, escorting him to the church entrance. For the celebratory lunch following the consecration, 800 meal tickets were distributed among the construction workers. The interior is richly decorated, with every column and staircase in the church made of marble. The colourful windows, the three altarpieces, and the ceiling paintings, featuring mosaics covered with 24-carat gold leaf, were created by Tyrolean artists. The church and its associated family crypt can be visited by prior arrangement.
- Parking available
More information
Target group
-
Class trips
-
Multigenerational programs
-
Friends
-
Adult-friendly
-
Seniors
Other services
Sights, programs
AllParking information
- Free outdoor parking available